Talking Gilmore Girls

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, January 07, 2007

SS Interview

Sally Struthers (Babette) is partaking in the upcoming, tv movie What I Did For Love, which I believe is a Hallmark movie. She stopped to chat with TVGuide.com on her movie and her role on Gilmore Girls.

Note: This interview is from December 8th, 2006. Sorry for the late post.

Here are the GG portions of the interview with Sally Struthers.

TVGuide.com: … I’m a big Gilmore Girls fan.
Struthers: Oh, don’t you love that show?

TVGuide.com: I really do.
Struthers: The dialogue, the dialogue! It’s so fast and clever and dry.

TVGuide.com: But I’m disappointed that Babette hasn’t been in many episodes so far this season.
Struthers: Well, let’s see, they’ve probably shot 10 shows by now, and I’ve been in four of them, so that’s pretty good.

TVGuide.com: Will she be showing up in future episodes?
Struthers: You know something? I don’t know! When you’re not on a contract as a series regular, you don’t know when the phone’s going to ring. But I always look forward to it, and they always accommodate me, because quite often I’m somewhere doing a musical or a play, like I’m doing now.

TVGuide.com: Because yours is a recurring role, do you get to spend a lot of time with some cast members?
Struthers: Well, my scenes usually are with one of the leads — Lorelai and Rory or Luke, but there are some cast members I’ve never met! [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: Really?
Struthers: Yeah, I had someone come up to me once and say, "Hi, I’m on Gilmore Girls, too, but I’ve never been in a scene with you." It’s shot like a movie — with one camera — and it takes eight working days to shoot one episode. [There’s] a day or two that you go in to film your scenes, and it isn’t the same day that some other characters [are filming]. The kids who Rory goes to school with at Yale? I haven’t met any of them!

TVGuide.com: Well, Babette knows everything that’s going on. Is it fun to play a town gossip?
Struthers: It is! And I don’t know if you saw the season opener when she talks about herself and says that she has a loud voice and people tell her she needs to talk softer? She’s even loud when she says it. [In Babette’s voice] "I need to talk softer!" I know somebody named Marissa, who has a very loud voice, so there’s a little bit of Marissa in the character I’m playing, and there’s a lot of Ruth Gordon.

TVGuide.com: Babette really cracks me up. I love when she gets on Luke’s nerves, or asks Lorelai a million questions. There’s something overwhelming but also endearing about her.
Struthers: Yeah. I just love all these characters. When you’re young, they try to fit you into some sort of ingenue role, but I was never that because I’ve always been a comedian. So as you get older and they offer you these delicious, quirky roles, you just jump into them with glee. They’re much more interesting to play, usually, than the lead… and a lot less pressure!

TVGuide.com: Do you have a favorite episode?
Struthers: I think maybe when our cat, Cinnamon, died, and we had the wake at Babette’s house. I loved doing that one, because everything was scaled down to her height.

TVGuide.com: Have you heard anything about this being the last season?
Struthers: Oh, rumors galore. It’s totally up in the air, and I don’t think it’s going to be decided until the spring. And then it’s still going to be up to the CW — whether or not they would be willing to let it go forward with one or two characters missing and take the show in a whole other direction.
You can find the whole interview over at TVGuide.com.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uh-oh. That last parts a little scary.

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger Donut Shop said…

    Hey, did you see that Melissa McCarthy is preggers in real life? It would be funny to see how she sees this through since she has 2 babies in the show!

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger RUDY said…

    No, I didn't see that. Thanks for the news. And yeah. I bet it'll be helpful in some ways, as a parent, to have some kind of contact with children on set. Being around kids makes it easier. I know what you mean by it being funny, too, though. I remember when Sookie wigged out in thefourth season at the lord of the rings party. You know. I wish that they'd pick that storyline up again. Not the same one, but one similar, where she thinks she is messing up her kids lives...she could say that "i just knew this would happen. A cook and a farmer, that's only a good recipe for food." Or something like that.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooow. that's wonderful for melissa. i think that she'll make a great mommy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home