Talking Gilmore Girls

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

People Change

I know that the category..."People Change"...can be so broad and lengthy that I decided to focus on just one person -- Jess Mariano. Last night as I rewatched season six's The Real Paul Anka episode, I started thinking about Jess's GG premiere and his character. We know Jess was knee-deep in some sort of parental pain, whatnot with his nonexistent father and carefree mom. He speaks common sense and literally grasps knowledge beyond his level (though his efforts are at zero). This boy when on the verge of manhood taught himself well, without the help of anyone. But what really manipulates his character and his attitude is Rory Gilmore. This girl turns his world upside down! At first, Rory just intrigues the boy -- a small town girl with beauty and brains. And before you know it, Jess bends over backwards (making good with her mom, helping Luke and all such things) to win Rory over. His methods do pin her in a bind with Dean, but his efforts don't go un-noticed by anyone. His compatibility matches Rory end to end, and every viewer has voted Jess over Dean. I remember back when season two was airing; I would have given anything for the two to get together. Jess seemed to be a better person when he was with Rory. But when season three rolled around and Jess landed the smart Rory, his character seemed to drop...off a cliff with a canonball tied to it. He changed for the worse. He treated Rory all wrong, skipped school and treat Luke even worse than when he arrived in Stars Hollow (the lying and such). I know that writers wrote him this way, but I hated his change all the same. Hello, he left Rory alone for her graduation without the decency to tell her that he has split. So I was glad that Rory upper-cut him with her words in season four's finale by telling him no. He deserved it, and I guess he knew it because his season six appearances have really showed him in a new light. A light that has matured him and corrected him. He is successful. He wrote a book. He has a mag, book and whatever else store with a couple of his buddies up in Philly. I'm glad that Jess has reinvented himself with a splash of season two, and I'm even more happier that his character has a purpose. Saying his name, Jess Mariano, brings whole another sensation to the air. And I like it this way, whether he is a regulare character or not and whether he has Rory or not. It might have taken Rory to shake some sense into him, but without Rory in his life, Jess has made himself first-rate.

What do you guys think? How is Jess in your eyes? Do you have a favorite Jess season or episode? Is he better with Rory in his life or without Rory in his life? And how do you think she has impacted his life?

6 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Lindy said…

    I think that Rory and Jess should be together. Jess has obviously matured in Season 6, with his new book and book company. He has done a lot of growing up, plus he hasn't said a mean word to Rory at all. Rory should totally.....I mean TOTALLY dump Logan for good...and she should be with Jess.

    I used to not like Jess. Dean used to be my favorite...until he cheated on his poor wife Lindsay with Rory. Then I lost all respect for him. Logan, I just can't stand at all. WAY too full of himself. I like Jess the best. =)

    I'm excited to see what happens next Season. I'm also a little wishy washy since I didn't get to see the Season Finale =( Oh well.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you lindy. I used to think Dean over Jess, but after the whole stupid Dean cheating, Jess took over.

    Jess has had his share of bad deeds. His life was a mess before Rory, so I don't necessarily think that she was the cause of his problems. I think at first she seemed to help because she was someone to take his mind off of his problems, but I think that they -- the problems -- came back to bit him in the tail. Or haunt him. Whatever. But I definitely think that he is ready for Rory now -- to have Rory now. He has figured out his life and has his own life, so I say that he is good to take Rory back in.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger RUDY said…

    I liked Dean in season one, when him, Rory and Lor did stuff -- like movie night. But when Jess joined GG in the second year, it was bon voyage Dean and hellooooo Jess.

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that Jess has changed over the course of GG. As you have said, he started out on a rocky footing, but I felt like he progressed in season 2. Then all of a sudden, he is mean and crabby in season three. He leaves his best girl alone on Friday nights, and wins best butthole award. But I like that the writers have decided to make him a character outside of Rory, or from Rory. You know what I mean. It brings more depth to Jess and the show by making him his own uniqueness.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Donut Shop said…

    I have several favorite Jess moments/eps. The biggest one would probably be the basket bidding ep when Rory loses her bracelet. Jess may have had a selfish moment by holding on to the bracelet until Rory realized that she really didn't miss the bracelet until it was pointed out to her and he snuck into her room to plant it.

    My other favorite one was the whole chase scene when Rory told him "no".

    Lastly, the episode he gave her "The Subsect". It's because he braved being at the elder Gilmores once more just to see her. They didn't part well, and yet, he sought her out to let her know he's changed. It was like he was saying he was ready for a commitment. Of course he didn't know that Rory had slipped into the character he was in season 3.

    Maturity comes in leaps and bouts. Rory's high school maturity was an achievement. Her college romance and personality had been stunted by her limited amount of friends and believing the clique mentality of HS transcending college. She had barricaded herself from maturing independently from the people she had started identifying with (the LDB).

    Does she really love Logan? Maybe. She still has to convince me.

    I KNOW she loves Jess and is most compatible with her personality.

    But knowing her success rate with relationships, I think she's going to blow out the obvious for unrealistic dreams and romantic notions that would lead her to uneventual demise.

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I rather enjoyed the basket bidding episode myself, especially when Dean was pissed off. I laughed so hard, telling him that he is so stupid. Of course Rory will go with Jess. It's her character to please everyone, and she likes Jess's company.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home